- Paris, France: 1763-1770.
- leaves, some bound, in clamshell box
- variously paginated
Price: $2,250.00 other currencies
Order Nr. 131266
Text in French. A collection of seven items removed from the text of Diderot's Encycopédie.
1. "Cartonnier et gaufreur en carbon" (Boardmaker and board embosser). Two plates from Volume II (1763). Includes an engraving of a boardmaker's workshop at the top of Plate I. Also includes engraved illustrations of various tools.
2. "Parcheminier" (Parchment maker). Seven plates from Volume VIII (1771). Includes an engraving of a parchment maker's shop at the top of Plate I, along with numerous engravings of various tools. With two pages of text with descriptive information about the plates.
3. "Fonderie en caracteres" (Typefounding). Eight plates from Volume II (1763). Includes an engraving of a typefoundry at the top of the first plate, along with numerous engravings of various tools.
4. "Caracteres et Alphabets de langues mortes et vivantes, contenant vingt-cinq planches" Extracted from Diderot, Denis and Jean Le Rond d'Alembert, eds., Encyclopédie, ou Dictionnaire Raisonné des Sciences, Arts et des Metiers. Pp. 1-17, 18 blank, followed by 25 copper-engraved plates, depicting alphabets and characters of more than 40 languages, including Assyrian, Hebrew, Chinese, Tibetan, Japanese, and Bengali. The explanatory text presents a detailed account of scholarship current at the time of publication.
5. "Ecritures" (Calligraphy). Bound with item 4. 17 pages of text with 16 plates, with numerous calligraphy specimens. Plate II, III, and IV have engraved illustrations of calligraphers and writing instruments.
6. 4to version of Item 1 above.
7. One leaf illustrating Syriac and Arabic alphabets, noted "P.L. Charpentier, sculp." at bottom of page.
A small label with the name of J.C.F. Kenny, Esq., of Kilclogher, Co. Galway, Ireland, a subscriber to the Royal Irish Academy in the 1850s. See Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy 6, 1853-1857 (Dublin: M.H. Gill, 1858), lxix.