- London: Trustees of the British Museum, 1859.
- original cloth.
- xxxi, 413 pages and tipped-in foldout.
- ISBN: none
Price: $35.00 other currencies
Order Nr. 116213
First edition. The 1857 opening of the British Museum's new building, with the domed reading room first sketched by A. Panizzi in 1852, was followed by the first edition of this work in 1859. The preface by John Winter Jones (1805-1881), then Panizzi's assistant and later Librarian after his retirement, discussed the history of public access to the British Museum and earlier reading rooms, concluding with a discussion of the new Reading Room. This preface is followed by a list of titles, arranged alphabetically in brief entries. This is followed by a subject index of the catalogues which were kept on the circular tables around the librarian's and clerks' desks in the middle of the Reading Room, and a subject index of the reference books. A square multi-colored foldout shows the plan of the Reading Room with subject locations; the facsimile reproduces Panizzi's initial sketch and notes for the Reading Room. Ex library copy with markings. Front cover, free endpaper, and directions for using the reading room loose.