DIE KAROLINGISCHEN MINIATUREN.
Koehler, Wilhelm (editor).
5 volumes in 6 with 5 plate volumes
- Berlin: Deutschen Vereins für Kunstwissenschaft, 1963.
- 4to.; plate volumes folio.
- cloth, editor and title stamped on spine; decorative stamping on front boards
- xii, 434, (2); xii, 349+(1) with plates; 100, (4); 176; 121+(1); 212, (2) pages
- Order Nr. 109427
- Price: $2,500.00 other currencies
Text in German. Reprint of 1930 edition. A thorough and exhaustive study of miniatures produced during the Carolingian era of medieval European history. Volume 1 (in 2) covers the School of Tours. Volume 2 the Court School of Karls des Grossen (Charlemagne). Volume 3 the Vienna Coronation Gospels and the Metz manuscripts. Volume 4 the Court School of Lothar (795-855) and individual manuscripts from Lotharingia. Volume 5 the Court School of Karl des Kahlen (Charles the Bald) (823-877). Each volume includes a foreword, bibliography, a directory of manuscripts, index of names and places and a directory of "figurative representations in the manuscripts." Each text volume accompanied by a volume of black and white plates. Bookplate on front pastedown of each volume. Some of the plate volumes are damaged at bottom of spine.